Friday, October 16, 2015

#16 That's my Boy

Me too Andy... Me too.
The movie: That's my Boy 2012. Written by David Caspe Directed by Sean Anders Staring:Andy Samberg and Adam Sandler

That's my Boy begins with a 13 year old named Donnie Berger being sexually assaulted by a teacher. The two begin a torrid affair, and are eventually caught. The teacher is impregnated, and a court gives her 30 years in prison, and awards the child to Donnie's abusive father until Donnie is old enough to take custody of the child.

If that sounds like the makings for laugh out loud comedy, congratulations you fucking sociopath, this movie is totally for you.

I'm not sure what is worse, the fact that this movie glorifies teacher-student relationships (on the guise that it is all teenage boy's fantasize about) or that it poses the thought that A student who is assaulted this way (I'm not going to refer to it as anything else) would become a small time celebrity. 

The movie follows Adam Sandler (now an adult played by Sandler, therefore he loses his character name) as he tries to rekindle the relationship between him and his son. He is also in a weird situation, where he needs 47000 dollars in order to not go to jail, and he can get 50000 by getting his son and his old teacher together for a reunion at the womens prison. All of this is happening while Todd Peterson/HanSolo Berger (Andy Samberg) is planning his wedding.

Hilarity* ensues

This movie is fucking bananas man. That is made all the worse by the fact that everyone in it seems to be trying very hard to make a good movie. Adam Sandler is honestly not entirely unrelatable, and at times the circumstances of his situation made me feel genuinely bad for him (I'm not sure if that's intended as it makes a pretty firm stance in favor of statutory rape)

Andy Samberg is also quite likeable, although I would say that is what he brings to everything he does. Samberg starts with like +5 likeablity points, so it'd be hard not to like him. Neither of the stars are truly the problem.

The problem is the bizarre beliefs about rape and incest. The fact that Adam Sandler is still in love with his teacher could have been played for the tragedy that it really is. I'm not saying that it's unlikely, in fact I'm saying the opposite. However this movie gives that no weight, and just expects you to be on Sandlers side since the teacher was hot. (And is, she's played as an older woman by Susan Sarandon) Also, Andy Samberg's fiance is sleeping with her brother (and has been since she was 16 and he was a child. there's a theme)

I don't really know what to say. This movie fulfills my quota of people actively trying to make a good piece of art. However they fail so badly. It's incredibly tone deaf and just sends a terrible message that it expects demands you agree with.

Should you watch this movie? NO. It's unfortunate that a movie with this much effort is this bad, but it is. It's the Jupiter Acceding of Comedies.

Where can you watch this movie? FX Now

Recommendation: So if you know me, you know that I love Pokemon. I've been a fan since I was a little boy in Hawaii and I first played Blue Version when I was 7. I've been an active participant in every single generation. I would say there is no line closer to my childhood than Pokemon. I enjoy taking in a lot of Poke-media, and I have recently been introduced to The Dex, a battle strategy and trivia show Hosted by Poke'Kellz and Alex. Each week they cover a different Pokemon and go over it's origins and the ways it can succeed in battle. I love it very much. You can find all of their videos on their channel. Here


No comments:

Post a Comment